Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Sweet Simple Things........

I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.–Laura Ingalls Wilder

I really can't explain it - maybe it is because I am an October Baby, maybe it is because I am older and dealing with hot flashes - I just don't know, but I am so in Love with Fall!  The air smells better, the sun shines brighter and I just can't soak it up enough.  I know all too well that it will soon give way to darker shorter days and less sunshine and the aches and pains of cold weather so enjoy this I must!

Now - on to my project for the day!  I spend a good bit of my time trying to knit and crochet - and I say trying because I am not that good but I do enjoy it so much.  As part of the Binky Patrol SC, we send items to several different groups who serve children.  At this time of year we are busy getting things together to celebrate Fall and Halloween.  My contribution this year will be pumpkin hats.  This is not a complicated pattern and anyone could do it if I can.  They are fun, warm and great for taking pictures of little ones to remember their first Fall.  Give one a try - they whip up very quickly and are such fun!

Pumpkin Knit Hats  
Size 8 Knitting Needles
Orange or Pumpkin Colored Yarn
Brown or Green Yarn for Stems

I used Red Heart for mine, but if you use that yarn you will want to give them a gentle wash after they are done to soften them up.  A vinegar rinse really helps with this process.

First cast on 50 stitches.  One trick I use because my hands are old and arthritic, is to cast on with a size 9 needle and do one row of all knit and them use the size 8 needles from her on out.  For the first 3 inches do the knit one row, pearl one row pattern.  This will give you a nice curl at the bottom.  Then I start decreasing to give the hat some shape.  Start on a knit row and decrease by knitting two stitches together every 10 stitches,  Knit pearl another two rows and then decrease every 8 stitches, then 6, then 4.  If you need a longer hat you can put more regular rows between the decreasing rows.  Newborn hats should be about 4-5 inches long with the curl.  When your hat is the size you like, cut the thread about 10 inches long and thread into a sewing needle.  Cast the stitches off onto this thread and pull time to draw up the top and close.  Continue sewing closed all the way down and close.  Aren't they cute?  They turn out very stretchy and fun!

 To make the stem, cast on 3 stitches onto any size double pointed needles and knit an I cord for as long as you would like.  Cast off and pull the ending thread all the way through the stem carefully so that you can't see it - this will allow you to bend the stem as much as you like.  Pull the two threads through the top of the hat and secure on the inside and your hat is all done.  So fun!!



No comments: