Thursday, October 6, 2011

Baking Fever.....

Well it is Day 6 in the Fall Blogging Challenge it is a beautiful Fall day here in South Carolina!  I always want to bake and bake and cook this time of year.  I guess because it is cooler and the oven doesn't heat up the kitchen as much.  I found a wonderful simple recipe for Cinnamon Raisin Biscuits and they are baking as I write.  The house smells so good and I have some cream cheese icing hanging out in the fridge that I will add to them when they are done.  SWEET!!!  The recipe is below - so much cheaper than going out for donuts (which I must admit we do on occasion) and they are so yummy!

Cinnamon Raisin Biscuits
2 1/2 Cups baking Mix (I used Bisquick)
2 teaspoons softened margarine
1/2 cup raisins
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla



Vanilla Glaze
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
(I used some leftover cream cheese icing - thinned it with a tablespoon of milk and heated in the microwave for 30 seconds)

Set oven to 450 degrees.  Measure the baking mix into a large mixing bowl and add the sugar, cinnamon and stir together.  Add the softened margarine and cut in with knives or a cutter.  When mixed together add the vanilla to the milk and then pour into the baking mix and stir together until it forms a stiff dough.  Turn this out onto a floured board and knead about 10 times until it has a good texture.  Cut into biscuits and place on a greased baking sheet.  I spray mine with a butter spray but you could also baste with melted butter or margarine.  Then sprinkle the tops with cinnamon and sugar mixture.  Bake these about 12 minutes until the tops are golden brown.  Remove them from the pan and place on a plate and add your preferred topping.  Enjoy!

No comments: