Wednesday, March 27, 2013

How Much Lime......

Okay - this all started out as Lemon Chicken - something I have never tried but always wanted to make.  I have been trying hard to cook again after years of working hard and not having the energy or brain power to do much more than microwave and make eggs.

Soooo I have a package of skinless boneless chicken breasts - what to do - what to make.  Only problem is there is no lemon juice and no lemons in the fridge and we are trying hard not to run out willy nilly just to pick up one or two things.  We are trying the use what you got theory and make it work.  Sometimes that's a good thing and sometimes not so much.  So here is how I came to make Chicken Lo Mien.

I sauteed some onions and garlic in olive oil and Can't Believe It's Not Butter (my go to for butter substitutes) until they were soft.  I took them out of the pan and added the chicken and sauteed it until it was browned on the outside.  I sprayed a baking dish with olive oil spray and put the chicken, onions and garlic and leftover oil and butter mixture.   Here is where I made the fatal flaw - well not so fatal - I was able to save the chicken and not have it put to death by trash, but it was touch and go.  I added a whole lime that I had cut into chunks.  Yep - I said a whole lime......I did have a lime, just not a lemon.  The recipe said juice of two whole lemons so why not a lime.....right?????  An hour later when I took the chicken out of the oven it smelled divine.  It was juicy and tender but when I took bite it was so bitter I could barely swallow it.  Way too much lime - it may have been OK with the juice but using the whole lime made it way too strong.

So what to do to fix it...enters Hubby who is supposed to be the chef around here and of course he can't believe I put the whole thing in there.  We look it up and supposedly sugar will temper the taste.  He goes a little over board and adds sugar and syrup - yep I said syrup.  If you are making chicken and waffles this probably would have been ingenious but here not so much!  We muddled through and ate some of it with the potatoes I made that would have been good with lemon chicken but not with sweet chicken.

This is how it came to become Chicken Lo Mien and turns out it was delicious!!!  I love Lo Mien and never have made it.  Turns out you can make it somewhat healthy and it was delicious.  Side note - skip the step where you bake the chicken in the lime bath. 

Chicken Lo Mien
2 cups soy sauce
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tbs chopped garlic (I use the jarred kind)
1 tbs corn starch
4 boneless skinless split chicken breast cooked and chopped (I sauteed and baked mine until done)
2 cups thick spaghetti noodles cooked
1 small onion
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup frozen peas

Saute onions and garlic in a couple tablespoons of butter or margarine of your choice and about 2 tablespoons olive oil.  Add carrots and saute until all veggies are tender.  Throw the chicken in and stir and saute with the veggies just until warm.  In a saucepan, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar and garlic salt and simmer on low.  Add corn starch and mix well - I stir mine into some of the liquid or water and then add to the pot to avoid any lumps.  Simmer this until it thickens a bit and is completely mixed.

I then added my noodles to the pan and poured the sauce over that and simmered this way for about 10 minutes.  I then mixed well and let it heat through for about another 10 minutes.   You can spice this up or make it hot if you desire. 

I you have a teriyaki sauce that you like, you can use that in place of the sauce and it works well too.  This can be made with beef or just veggies of your choice.

It turned out wonderful using the chicken we almost thought was ruined because the sweet of the teriyaki fixed it.  It was Awesome!!!




No comments: