Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Homemade Jambalaya ~ Sort Of

In our family we love Jambalaya and it can be pretty labor intensive.  My hubby can make it from scratch ala Paul Prudhomme and it is fantastic.  Me - not so much.  I have used Zatarans mixes and they are great too.  But, if you are in a pinch and need a good quick dinner this is the way to go.

I get lots of food emails as I am very interested in relearning to cook.  So today I was playing the what can I make with what I have game and discovered something pretty good.  I believe I will start doing it on purpose from now on and trying some other varieties.  Let me know what you think.


Sort-Of Homemade Jambalaya
1 cup rice
2 cans Progresso Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Soup (Really)
Seasonings to Taste


Put the soup in a large saucepan and heat.  Cook the rice according to package directions - I use uncle Ben's Converted Rice and it works great but any rice will do.  After the rice is done stir it into the soup and cook on low for about 30 minutes.  This will allow the rice to absorb the liquid in the soup and it is excellent!  We add shredded cheese, sour cream along with chopped onions as toppings.  This stuff is surprisingly delicious.  If you have some chicken or sausage on hand, that could be chopped and added as well.  Either way it is very inexpensive and tastes like you went to lots of trouble.  Give it a try and you might be delightfully surprised!  There are lots of other varieties of Progresso soup that can be used the same way - and no I don't work for them - just trying to save money and still feed my family something good.

No comments: