Saturday, October 29, 2011

Black Bean Chili.........

Oh Yeah - it is Chili time again!  In our family we usually try to wait until around Halloween to start making our Chili - it is such a super comfort food especially on a chili  day....heheh.  Today I have a pot of Black Bean Chili simmering on the stove and I just love the aroma!  While I have made lots of veggie chili - this is my first attempt using Black Beans.  My Step-Father was Cuban, so I have eaten lots of black beans and I absolutely LOVE them all kinds of ways!  And.....they are good for you - bonus!


For me there are few things I enjoy as much as a simmering pot on the stove, a clean kitchen and the hum of the washer and dish washer while I cook.  I know this sounds a little crazy but I love it - maybe because I haven't always been able to do this kind of thing.  Even better is the aroma wafting through the house.  Doesn't get any better.  Okay so I am getting carried away.  Below is the recipe - go make yourself some happy - as the hubby would say it's Heartwarming!

Black Bean Chili
1 bag of dried black beans
1 chopped onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup chopped carrots
1 medium can tomato paste
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
6-8 cups of water
Beef bullion or broth
Olive oil
Butter
Thyme
Basil
Bay Leaves

Add your beans to a stew pot and cover with water and a lid and let sit on stove over night.  This helps to soften then.  Saute carrots, onions and garlic in butter and olive oil until soft - about 5 minutes.  Add rinsed beans and water along with seasonings to taste and beef bullion.  Simmer this mixture until beans are soft - mine normally take a couple of hours.  Then add tomatoes and tomato paste to the pot and stir well - a wisk will help break up and disolve the tomato paste.  I also added a can of big red kidney beans to mine to bulk it up a bit.  If you would like you can add corn or other veggies at this point and cook for another hour or so.  All chili is usually better the next day so I make mine ahead of time.  Top with grated cheese, sour cream, chopped onions, chives and serve along with corn bread and crackers.  YUM!!!


No comments: